Request for Proposal- Energy Audit
This document outlines the basic requirements for KVCOG’s needs related to an assessment. It is important to note that the actual Energy Audit provided under this proposal needs to meet or exceed any additional requirements set forth by KVCOG’s funder, DECD.
The Energy Audit for this RFP will include (but may not be limited to) the building envelop, common areas, units, lighting, HVAC systems, water heating and other appliances. The energy audit analysis should include the following:
• Analysis of building and utility data, including study of the installed equipment and analysis of energy bills;
• Identification of Operation and Maintenance procedures and an implementation cost and energy savings projected estimate;
• Energy Conservation Measures and estimates of costs and savings
• The survey of the real operating conditions;
• The understanding of the building behavior and of the interactions with weather, occupancy and operating schedules;
• The selection and the evaluation of energy conservation measures;
• The estimation of energy saving potential;
• The identification of customer concerns and needs.
An Energy Audit Analysis report containing the above information, procedures used and any other mutually agreed upon information will be provided to KVCOG in, at minimum, an electronic format at the completion of the audit. Descriptive photos pertinent to the energy audit will be included in the final report. This report will become the property of KVCOG.
An interview should be conducted with the site management during the audit to discuss all current issues needing immediate attention. In addition, the site management will need to provide any information about location of HVAC and appliances, type of fuel utilized in the building, pertinent documentation, plans, recent citations and any other related information to the selected provider for use in analyzing the property needs.
Each Energy Audit shall be completed within a six (6) week time frame unless otherwise agreed upon by all parties.
Qualifications for the Energy Audit Provider:
KVCOG is seeking proposals for an Energy Audit regarding multiple properties in the KVCOG service area (Kennebec, Somerset & western Waldo counties). The Provider for these assessments must possess valid and current licenses and certifications necessary to comply with the “Scope of Work”, as listed above and as regulated by all applicable state, county and/or local laws and ordinances.
The Provider must have prior training and experience in conducting an evaluation and analysis of energy needs and opportunities for greater energy efficiencies and cost savings with public sector properties. The Provider must have proven experience in effectively conducting energy audits and energy audit analyses incorporating the tasks and information mentioned on the Scope of Work as well as be knowledgeable about any environmental standards or concerns impacting the audit. The Provider must have complete knowledge of the current standards, details and critical dimensioning related to energy requirements and efficiencies for residential properties as well as commercial properties (or mixed use properties) and must also have knowledge of the local jurisdictional codes and requirements related to the specific properties.
Please provide a proposal for services to KVCOG for a complete Energy Audit, based on the information above and the following information provided by KVCOG:
Proposals should provide the following information:
• Cover sheet with company name, address, year of establishment, contact information, and summary of the work that the company does. Please note on the cover sheet if you are a minority or women owned business enterprise as preference will be given to
• Experience in providing Energy Audits for similar types of projects. Please include description of prior training and experience in evaluating energy needs, identifying energy related costs savings and knowledge of applicable energy and environmental standards as well as the local jurisdictional codes and requirements related to the specific properties. Include information about experience and training of key staff who will be working on this project if selected.
• Description of how you would propose to undertake the Energy Audit. Please include timelines for each phase of the proposed Energy Audit and steps you would take during each phase.
• List of all applicable licenses, certifications, and designations. Proof of general liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence.
• Line item budget for the proposed Energy Audit. As the contract is for multiple public sector properties throughout the region, please provide an average cost per property. This can be based upon size and/or use of the property or similar. For example, the KVCOG recognizes that an audit of a small town office is a significantly different undertaking than the audit of a large, historic library or similar.
• At least three professional references with contact information.
• Brief sample of Energy Audit previously produced
Proposals should be in a font no smaller than twelve (12) and should not exceed five (5) pages not including Energy Audit samples.
Terms and Period of Performance
KVCOG anticipates awarding contracts in January 2019 with the expectation that work will be completed no later than May 30, 2020. Each Energy Audit is anticipated to be completed within 6 weeks from the time that the contract with the Energy Audit provider is fully executed.
KVCOG may award multiple contracts given the broad geographic nature of our region and diversity of public sector structures in each town.
Proposals will be rated on the following criteria:
• Cover sheet including all applicable data (up to 5 points)
• Description of similar experience (up to 25 points)
• Description of Energy Audit approach (including time lines and demonstrated willingness to work with diverse partners/stakeholders) (up to 25 points)
• List of all applicable licenses and certifications and proof of liability insurance (up to 10 points)
• References (up to 5 points)
• Line item budget (up to 25 points)
• Experience working with non-profits and the public sector (up to 5 points)
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE: 100
Proposals will be reviewed and scored by a panel.
Please note that there is a possibility for future contracts to continue implementation of the Energy Audit recommendations contingent upon funding.
The following is a schedule of events concerning the bid process:
Distribution of the RFP: 12/03/2018
Due date: 2/14/2018
Notification of Award: Upon Grant award notification
Commence Services: TBD
Proposals must be clearly marked and submitted by 4:00 pm on Friday, December 14, 2018.
Please submit proposals to the attention of Cary Tyson at ctyson [at] kvcog.org Please be sure to put Energy Audit proposal in the subject line.
Kennebec Valley Council of Governments (KVCOG) is a private, non-profit organization established in 1967. KVCOG is a membership organization and is owned and operated for the benefit of its members. The Council of Governments is enabled by state statue. The office is located in Fairfield, Maine and serves Kennebec, Somerset and western Waldo Counties.
KVCOG provides a coordinated approach for planning and economic development at the local and regional level. KVCOG has been a leader in economic development, environmental, land use and transportation planning with a wide array of professional talent among staff for the past 50 years.
The Kennebec Valley region is connected by the Kennebec River. It covers 62 municipalities, several unorganized territories and 5,251 square miles with a population of approximately 182,000. It includes the state capital of Augusta as well as other cities including Waterville, Gardiner and Hallowell and many rural towns. Municipal population ranges from 42 to 18,972.
In 2018, KVCOG was awarded Department of Economic and Community Development Government Efficiency grant. The intent of this funding was to assist KVCOG in aiding public sector organizations in energy efficiency and savings. KVCOG will be utilizing these funds to conduct an Energy Audits in public buildings across its service region.