Location: Fairfield, ME, with frequent time spent out of office
Classification: Full time, permanent
Deadline: Monday May 16, 2022. Or until position is filled.
Kennebec Valley Council of Governments (KVCOG) is a community nonprofit organization that provides planning and economic development assistance to the towns in Kennebec, Somerset, and part of Waldo County. KVCOG is accepting applications for a Economic and Community Development Specialist to join our team.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
This employee is responsible for providing analytical, administrative and specialized technical work in a program of community and economic development within the Kennebec Valley region.
The work involves diverse activities and requires a meaningful understanding of the organizational and operating characteristics of the many economic development based programs. This employee works with a high degree of independence, subject to guidance by the Executive Director, and is required to carry work to completion with considerable independence. The employee follows established procedures, plans or protocols, but must exercise judgement and initiative in analyzing how to achieve desired outcomes within resources or other work environment constraints.
The work involves significant contact with municipal members, boards and committee members, businesses and other constituents of programs or services. It also requires coordination with State and Federal agencies and hired consultants. Work is of a confidential nature and is performed under the general supervision of the Executive Director.
Work is accomplished in a cooperative, collaborative environment, but final work products are reviewed and approved by the Executive Director. As part of the KVCOG professional team, this position will assist other staff when necessary and appropriate.
This position is responsible for: the oversight and administration of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), regional technical assistance for Community Development Block Grant program (CDBG) and Northern Border Regional Commission (NBRC) grants, management of the EPA Brownfields program and project development from planning through implementation, organizational and regional grant writing and administration and any other duties as assigned. Core skills include innovation, organization, and relationship management. The right person for this position is a motivated self-starter who shares KVCOG’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administration of the CEDS and EDA Planning Grant program.
- Administration and development of the EPA Brownfields Program.
- Prepares grant proposals and applications, budgets, contracts and other necessary documents as may be required for a variety of state, federal and private grant programs.
- Performs project management assistance, including project work plans, schedules and budgets, for a wide range of projects as assigned.
- Prepares correspondence dealing with complex matters and assembles reports describing and evaluating community and economic development projects.
- Provides technical and/or informational material(s) for the Board, General Assembly and committees as needed.
- Answers business inquiries and follows up on information requests promptly and accurately
- Identifies resources or funding opportunities in the private and public sectors to advance business and community projects.
- Maintains relationships with various local, State and federal agencies and coordinates projects with such agencies i.e. town officials, EDA, USDA, DEP etc.
- Researches information and provides data analysis for potential projects and programs
- Any other duties or special projects as assigned by Executive Director.
- Working knowledge of the principles and techniques of administrative management including organization, planning, budgeting and reporting through an appropriate four-year college program or significant progressively responsible job experience. Must have knowledge and practical experience to planning, directing, and coordinating programs and administrative activities that are complex, interrelated, and interdependent nature, where unknowns and numerous contingency factors can be involved.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience in on or more of the following fields: community and/or economic development, grant writing and administration, CEDS, CDBG, NBRC etc.
- Ability to analyze local and regional assets, plan and coordinate development activities to help strengthen the municipalities and the region.
- Ability to organize, interpret and analyze varied records, reports, data (including demographic and economic), and to prepare reports from such records.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present technical information and planning concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences.
- Ability to organize and facilitate group and committee discussions leading to clear and identifiable outcomes. Must have the ability to organize and coordinate programs, committees, and volunteers towards specific initiatives.
- Ability to communicate and work well with local, state, and federal officials, and colleagues in other public and private agencies and institutions.
- Innovative self-starter with ability to work with limited supervision, including remotely, to organize and execute work assignments in a thorough and timely manner, to work under frequent time pressures and be able to keep several projects in progress at the same time.
- Willingness to travel, primarily within the central Maine area, and to attend both teleconferencing and occasional in-person night meetings, using personal vehicle and personal cell phone for business use (both reimbursable).
This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, short and long-term disability, paid time off, 13 paid holidays per year, 403(b) pension plan with agency match, flexible work schedules, and more. Compensation is commensurate with experience. KVCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application should include a cover letter, resume, and three references and should emailed to the search committee at . The deadline for this position is May 16, 2022.