Location: Fairfield, ME, with some time spent out of office
Classification: Full time, permanent
Kennebec Valley Council of Governments (KVCOG) is a community nonprofit organization that provides planning and economic development assistance to the member towns in Kennebec, Somerset and Waldo counties. KVCOG is accepting applications for a Executive Director to lead the organization.
The Executive Director, with general direction from the Board of Directors and in conformity with the KVCOG charter, bylaws, federal/state regulations and contract documents, plans, organizes, directs, and controls all aspects of KVCOG operations and programs.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
- Seek input, develop, and present recommendations on matters relating to financial planning and forecasting, short-term and long-range planning and marketing strategies,
- implement approved programs and initiatives and provide on-going analyses to measure their effectiveness,
- prepare, review and/or promulgate policy statements and procedures required for implementation and understanding of major initiatives,
- participate in developing and implementing short-term and long-range planning strategies,
- maintain current knowledge of pending legislation having impact on the organization and advise member communities,
- plan, organize and direct the financial affairs of the organization under the direction of designated committee structure, direct preparation of annual budget, develop plans to meet future budgetary needs and manage investment of funds,
- prepare, issue and review requests for proposals and obtain services of outside professionals such as attorneys, financial advisors, bankers and others as authorized by the Board of Directors, oversee project performance and expenses and ensure coordination of results with other KVCOG operations,
- conceive and recommend a short-term and long-range marketing strategy to promote the organization and increase membership,
- oversee, manage and administer the revolving loan fund program, and
- perform other related functions as may be required by the Board of Directors or specified by the charter and bylaws.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop relationships with governmental agencies, legislative bodies, the financial community, officials of member communities, the media, and the general public designed to maximize KVCOG’s ability to contribute to the growth of its member municipalities and the region,
- establish and implement a sound plan of organization for KVCOG to meet current and projected financial, technical, operational and administrative requirements; organize and select subcommittees, task forces and project teams to address and meet the objectives of the organization,
- conduct or direct related research, define and propose timely solutions and plans of action to appropriate committees for approval and oversee their effective implementation,
- establish, foster and maintain a communications network with member jurisdictions, the legislature, state and federal agencies, the financial community, the media and the general public, respond to inquiries, requests and complaints relating to KVCOG operations, programs and activities within scope of authority and refer unresolved matters or those requiring approval of a higher authority to the Board of Directors,
- conduct market research, select target communities, present proposals and negotiate favorable contracts,
- prepare agenda, reports, and related materials for a variety of committee/board meetings,
- oversee the scheduling and posting of meetings and the recording and distribution of meeting minutes,
- recruit and select staff directly or through subordinate managers,
- provide for their training and development and recommend changes in status and compensation to Board of Directors,
- oversee other human resources functions to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations,
- maintain current knowledge of developments in regional planning, transportation and economic development areas through peer association, study, attendance at seminars, and meetings,
- Master’s degree preferred in public administration or related field
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment that relies on either donor or member funding.
- Experience in member management, sales, or recruitment. Volunteer management experience will be considered.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, in person and on the telephone.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook, with database, social media management, and e-communications experience.
- Desire to be a part of a dynamic team effecting change in the Kennebec Valley region.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, short and long-term disability, paid time off, 12 paid holidays per year, 403(b) pension plan with agency match, flexible in-office schedule, and more. KVCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references to with Executive Director in the subject line. Position posted and open until filled.